For Memorial Day weekend, Nathan and I usually go camping with my parents and we usually go to Land Between the Lakes. It's beautiful up there if you can stand the cloud of dust kicked up by 300 people on dirt bikes and four-wheelers. I'm ok with it, I'm into that stuff. Now I am more of a sit and read and knit and enjoy nature as opposed to 5 years ago when I was first into a mud hole.
Mom and I went to The Homeplace, which is a replica of an 1850's farm complete with animals and docents in period costume. I picked one of their brains about the loom in one of the rooms. It was made in like 1800 and still works. She showed me stuff that was recently made on it. I was freaking amazed. Mom was walking out of that cabin and around the bend and stopped at the tobacco barn, sniffed the air and announced "I smell pig". Then the hunt was on to find the source. We did find them, but what was funny is that she was like, "some people have a nose for wine, I got a nose for pig". She puts Anthony Bourdain to shame, I swear. She learned how to tune a dulcimer from a couple from Somerville and then it got hot. So we drove back to camp. Later that evening, we had company. It was nice to finally meet some of Nathan's family from his dad's side that lives not far from the camp. His cousin and his wife came to the camp and sat with us for a few hours and ate dinner and talked. They hadn't seen each other in about 15-20 years so it was pretty awesome. But then the rain started and my dad decided to pack up the next morning. Between the drive up and back, I have 3/4's of the other Kai-Mei done. I will probably work on the rest tonight. I have like 2 repeats and a toe to go.
We drove home and showered and went to pick up the rest of my stuff from the tomato lady. I got several varieties of peppers, some more cherry tomatoes, basil and chinese eggplants. I loooove them because they always throw in free plants and give me lots of good advice. I came home and pulled suckers off the tomato plants and pulled some weeds. I need to get in there with newspaper and mulch this weeks. Bleh. But all is good. Nate and I ate green beans straight off the plant. So good.
But now, because I am worn out and tired of typing. I leave you with a few garden related pictures and I will be off to read about canning the bounty.
I'm in the Bean Club!
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment